Since the evening of January 12, 2010, I have been tugging on my Father’s sleeve.
Dad. Dad. Dad? Can I go? You know me, my gifts, my limits, please? Dad, will you let me help?
Some months ago, I strongly sensed the answer was “Yes, be patient.” Let’s just say I’ve been persistently patient, continuing pray and watch, not wanting to miss the opportunity. In the meantime, I would keep telling people the need was still there, still growing.
Oh, opportunity for what? To go to Haiti to serve the church, to serve the people, to pray and encourage in any way that presents itself. Today, via a simple phone call, the opportunity came. A friend had a space on his team to fill because another person’s plans changed. I’ll be joining a team of 15 adults and students serving in the vicinity of Port-au-Prince during the week of December 27.
Will you join the team of people praying for this mission? Will you pray for the team, the pastor and church that we’ll be serving, and their community? We will be there just prior to the anniversary of the earthquake. People are still living in tent/tarp cities. Diseases, including cholera, are affecting the vulnerable. They held an election yesterday, the results of which are as yet unknown. We will serve under the direction of Adventures in Missions, an organization which has had a solid presence since long before this current crisis and has made it a priority to partner with local churches to create sustainable ministry. Please leave a comment if you will pray with us for this trip.
Yes, I have some fundraising to do pretty quickly. I’m awaiting the total and other details, but I couldn’t wait to tell any longer that God has answered my sleeve-tugging prayers. I am estimating that I’ll need to raise approximately $2000 to cover my transportation and the trip fees with Adventures in Missions. If you feel led to donate, let me know and I will give you the information when I have the details confirmed.