Yes, the Mets lost their bid for the post-season. Again. After a season that began for me with such joy. Yes, I hate that because every year I invest vast amounts of time and energy in watching their games, and was looking for them to keep this promise. However, I’m really not as crushed as I was over The Collapse of 2007 because the ’08 Mets fought hard to the bitter end with play fairly consistent to what they managed all season. Hopefully this lengthy off-season will bring some changes to that dynamic, so that there is less focus on the brilliance on paper replaced by more brilliant baseball moments on the field.
Be that as it may. I lost a little logo wager with this guy, now fulfilled by this random logo.
To console myself, I placed a little bid on an ebay auction for a New York Mets Wait Until Next Year Kit I saw on Metsblog.com, and to my surprise, I won! Yesterday’s mail brought the kit, described by the compassionate, sympathetic, entrepreneurial, Rangers-fan seller as follows:
NEW YORK METS
WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR KIT
Today I signed on ESPN.com to read about another disappointing Mets season. Back to back seasons now, the Mets stay in contention all the way until the final out, just to fall short! Oh, the agony the fans of the Metropolitans must feel! OUCH!
I figured I had to help. So, I’ve decided to put together a unique kit with everything needed to get through the dark winter that includes all of the following
- A package of Kleenex – To wipe away all the tears you shed!
- A 25 count box of Dora the Explorer bandaids – To bandage that wounded pride.
- ORBIT gum – to rid your mouth of that bad taste left from the season.
- An 18 month daily pocket planner- to help you count down the days until next season.
- 2004 Bowman Eli Manning Rookie in near mint condition – To remind you that NEW YORK is still the home of the SUPER BOWL CHAMP GIANTS!
- Personalized sympathy card – a personalized card expressing heart warming sympathetic thoughts.
- Over 25 HIGH quality New York Mets baseball cads – They break your heart every year but you still love them. CARDS INCLUDE INSERTS AND A REFRACTOR!
- Jimmy Rollins baseball card and Sharpie – your chance to be creative and do what you want with the card, intended to be therapeutic.
- Brand new deck of “All In” playing cards – to burn time playing all the solitaire you want until spring training rolls around.
- 1973 TOPPS Willie Mays – Even the the “Sey Hey” kid took a few swings as a Met. The card is in rough condition with soft edges but still a neat card for any Mets fan.
An orange gift bag with four baseball stickers will house all contents. I can personalize this as a gift to anyone you like. What better way to make that DIE Hard Mets fan laugh off another bad season. I’ll also include a note on the sympathy card with information as to why the heck they received some of the items they received.
It was like Christmas unpacking and looking through the treasures. There are some really fun cards and reminders of happier times. Most of these will end up in as decorations on the Mets wall in my home office.
And then, there’s that Jimmy Rollins card and sharpie… I’m not really a trash-talker, and to deface a guy’s card seems extreme to me… so, leave a comment and let me know what you think I should do with that.